Position Description: The Director of Development will be responsible for overall fund development planning and implementation for a budget that is currently $1.6M. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for developing and implementing UAF’s resource mobilization strategy, while working collaboratively with the Director of Programs and other colleagues.
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan, in partnership with the Executive Director and key volunteers;
- Actively manage a portfolio of major gift prospects; develop and execute plans for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship;
- Participate in the annual budgeting process, advising on revenue streams and new sources of support;
- Maintain, identify and cultivate foundation grants and institutional support;
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan, working closely with the development and grantmaking teams on how best to incorporate programmatic elements;
- Oversee the drafting of print and online communication materials to ensure the consistency of messaging;
- Develop synchronized development and communications calendar;
- Work closely with Board of Directors on fundraising initiatives;
- Lead the development team; supervise and mentor development staff to achieve individual and organizational fundraising goals;
- Develop and implement on-line giving campaigns; and
- Supervise organizational systems to ensure quality data for planning and relationship building.
- Minimum 6 years experience with a not-for-profit in Development and Communications (Director level preferred);
- A demonstrated track record of fundraising success within the not-for-profit sector;
- Tremendous leadership ability: the successful candidate takes responsibility, moves ahead and encourages others, and possesses the self-confidence, integrity, intellect, and perseverance that inspires trust and confidence;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including building coalitions, communication clearly with a variety of audiences, and using a range of communications styles – from in-person donor meetings to social media for mass audiences;
- Strong organizational/administrative skills: hands-on, willing and able to get into the details;
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and closing major individual gifts of $50,000 and more
- Financial acumen: must be comfortable with the financials and budgets, will operate with transparency and manage limited resources well;
- An entrepreneurial spirit: a highly driven, energetic, detailed, roll-up-the-sleeves yet disciplined management style, enjoys the atmosphere of a small organization with lean staffing, has the ability to wear a number of different hats; and
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Filemaker Pro, Word, Excel and Power Point, and fundraising databases.
Please submit cover letter, resume, writing sample (500 words or less) and 3 references to email@example.com, with “Director of Development” in the subject line by March 10, 2013.
The position is open until filled.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Urgent Action Fund compensates competitively, depending on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including: 100% health insurance, acupuncture and chiropractor, generous vacation, sabbatical, and retirement contribution. UAF shares office space with like-minded organizations, offers a positive working environment, and is conveniently located in the Mission District of San Francisco, close to public transit.
Please no follow-up phone calls.