The Program Officer works in conjunction with other members of the Grantmaking team to administer the portfolio of grants for Urgent Action Fund’s international Rapid Response Grantmaking Program. Primary tasks range from grants administration to the review and management of funding requests while actively contributing to the overall growth and strategic development of the organization.
Program Implementation, Coordination & Evaluation
- Review and evaluate incoming proposals from groups worldwide, acquire supplementary information/research as needed
- Seek endorsements and communicate with advisors on grant proposals
- Enhance and sustain grantee and advisor networks
- Write reports and analyses of grantmaking activities
- Support the preparation of the grantmaking program budget
- Share administrative duties within the grantmaking Team including database management and grants administration
- Develop strategic grantmaking priorities for a region
Communication & Representation
- Create connections between grantees and other funders
- Strengthen UAF’s networking with other donors, foundations, women’s and other relevant organizations to develop grantmaking and programmatic partnerships and collaborations
- Represent Urgent Action Fund at public events and/or in mass media
- Plan and conduct travel and other outreach activities to enhance and sustain existing and future networks with potential grantees
- Work in collaboration with other UAF teams, including Fundraising, Communications, Research & Publications/Advocacy & Alliance Building and Finance
- Represent the Grantmaking Team at UAF Board meetings as necessary
- Contribute to the overall health and growth of the organization
- A critical understanding of and deep commitment to social justice and human rights issues facing women worldwide
- At least 3 years of professional experience in an organization related to the mission of UAF and the RRG program
- 1 – 2 years of work experience outside of North America
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in related field, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated interest in a career within the field of women’s philanthropy, women’s human rights, and commitment to the mission and vision of UAF
- English language proficiency required; proficiency in Arabic or Russian preferred
- Strong critical thinking skills, ability to problem solve and resourcefulness
- Excellent computer skills, including MSOffice, familiarity with Mac preferable
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills as demonstrated in at least 3 years of professional experience
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of constituents; Awareness and understanding of issues of privilege, oppression, and marginalized communities
- Willingness to assume a range of unanticipated tasks and work flexible hours, including some weekends
- International travel will be required after training period
Please submit cover letter with current contact information, resume, writing sample (1,000 words or less), and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Program Officer” in the subject line by February 10, 2013.
The projected start date for this position is April 1, 2013. Please note applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit the full application to the Urgent Action Fund office by email (see below). We will only contact candidates we are interested in inviting for an interview.
Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. No relocation costs will be covered for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.
Urgent Action Fund compensates competitively, depending on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including: 100% health insurance, acupuncture and chiropractor, generous vacation, sabbatical, and retirement contribution. UAF shares office space with like-minded organizations, offers a positive working environment, and is conveniently located in the Mission District of San Francisco, close to public transit.
Please no follow-up phone calls.