We are heartbroken by the devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit Nepal on Saturday, leaving widespread death, destruction and displacement in its wake.
Since then, Urgent Action Fund has been in close communication with our partners on the ground, many of who lost their homes, belongings, and, in some cases, loved ones.
What they have told us is that – as relief aid comes pouring in across the world – what is needed most right now is not more money, but long term support to rebuild their communities, organizations, and families.
Because Urgent Action Fund is not a relief organization, other organizations with established networks in the region are better positioned to help communities rebuild and heal. Below is a list of 5 women-led partner organizations that have asked for support for their long-term responses to the crisis. They are already mobilizing their communities to take action and welcome donations at this time.
- ACHA Himalayan Sisterhood – Funds will go to support recovery efforts for Tibetan refugees, and other minority groups, in Nepal.
- The Global Fund for Women – Funds will go to support grassroots women’s groups in Nepal to assist women and girls impacted by this disaster.
- The Nepal Women’s Fund (TEWA) – Funds will go to support community needs assessments and to mobilize grassroots women’s groups to rebuild and strengthen rural areas of Nepal.
- The Women’s Rehabilitation Center (WOREC Nepal) – Funds will go to support essential services and infrastructure to women most in need, including women and girls with disabilities, and new mothers and pregnant women.
- Women’s Awareness Centre Nepal (WACN) – Funds will go to support recovery efforts for Indigenous women in rural areas of Nepal.