Funding rapid response grants for the collective care and resilience of women means that our core value is co-responsibility. Co-responsibility to activists in attaining justice for women. Partners with human rights defenders in the many movements they lead. And there for activists when they need it most.
In 2017 the demand for support of women’s human rights grew everywhere. Especially for those whose work is fierce, brave, beautiful, and largely invisible because it is on the frontlines.
With your support, in 2017, we:
- Launched the Resist & Reclaim Fund for human rights defenders in the United States and granted funding to 24 community groups, from New York to Tennessee to Texas to California, over 90% of which were led by women of color.
- Celebrated 20 years in service to women’s movements and our 1700th rapid response grant!
- Launched Urgent Action Fund – Asia Pacific — our newest Sister Fund, alongside Urgent Action Fund – Africa and Urgent Action Fund – Latin America. Together we combine the relevancy of local leadership with the power of a global network.
- Completed groundbreaking research on the gendered impact of restrictions on civil society — co-publishing Standing Firm: Women and Trans- led Organizations Respond to Closing Space for Civil Society.
- Completed our next strategic plan, UAF 2020, and laid the ground work to step up our efforts to resource the resilience of feminist social justice organizing here in US and around the world.
A feminist Russian activist who received support from Urgent Action Fund told us, “When they shut the door we come through the window.” In 2018, we’ll be there as women’s rights movements find critical moments of opportunity for change and we’ll have their backs when times get tough.